I have a word.
For the past few years, I’ve discovered God has had a word for me (or Logos) to focus on for the year. It has really been a blessing.
Mine for 2017 is NESTLE – as in to snuggle and rest.
And I chose Matthew 11:28 as my focus verse for the year: “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.”
I even picked a visual reminder – an adorable stamp I already had of a cute little camper (pictured above). It will serve as a reminder to me to slow down and take care of myself. (I ended 2016 with pneumonia, so it’s a timely thing to remember!)
How can a focus word benefit you?
- If you let God lead you to yours, He will reveal something He wants you to work on.
- By having a single focus all year, you no longer have a huge list of things to change or improve on. Just the one.
- A character-building Logos doesn’t have the stigma that New Year’s resolutions have.
- A single idea is also less intimidating than a long list of resolutions.
- Your Logos can help you focus on a single verse and cultivate growth.
- It can be a starting point for art or study.
- Sharing your word with others can help keep you accountable to work on what God has revealed to you.
How do you discover your Logos?
There are several ways – including some websites that offer mini workshops to help you discover your own. But mostly, I’d recommend the following:
- Pray about it. And spend plenty of time listening.
- Continue to read Scripture. The first time I picked a word simply because it kept showing up in my daily Bible readings.
- Consider your needs. Make a list. I knew I needed rest, but I felt I really needed more than that. So, I pulled out my trusty thesaurus. NESTLE gave me a vision of snuggling close to God for rest and recharging. It was perfect!
If you have a LOGOS for 2017, I’d love to hear from you. Please comment below.